Green Cards

Motor Insurance – Travel to Europe – “no deal” Brexit & Green Cards

We would like to inform you that if there is a “no deal” Brexit, a Green Card will be required as evidence of your motor insurance when taking your vehicle to Europe. This would be in addition to your Certificate of Insurance.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which is accepted in the EU, EEA countries and Switzerland. It certifies that motorists visiting these countries have at least the minimum compulsory Motor Third Party Liability Insurance cover required by the laws of the countries visited.

The practical implication of this is that authorities in European countries could ask to inspect the motor insurance Green Card of UK policyholders/drivers. if a valid Green Card cannot be provided, it is possible that travel could be delayed or in the worst case refused.

To prevent such problems for you, it is important that you carry out the following in advance of any trip to Europe.

Contact your Broker to request a Green Card, advising the duration for which the Green Card is required and the countries to be visited.  Please make this contact with your Broker at least 2 weeks prior to your trip to ensure the Green card is safely delivered to you in time for your departure to Europe.

In the event of a Brexit deal or a delay to Brexit, it is extremely likely that NO Green Card will be required, which is the present position.